Seamotion is a powerboat school that delivers the RYA Powerboat Scheme for those people looking for an internationally recognised qualification, either for themselves or to commercially endorse for work. We also deliver many of the additional courses required for the commercial endorsement, as well as Navigation theory courses. In addition to this our boat and skipper are available for charter and taster sessions.
The RYA National Powerboat Scheme is for those wanting to drive small open powerboats such as RIBs (rigid inflatable boats), sports boats and small launches. Whether you use powerboats for leisure or work, or in connection with another activity such as sailing or rescue, we have a course for you.
RYA Powerboat courses
The programme comprises a series of practical courses which can be complemented by navigation and other one-day support courses. Courses can be taken either on board our boat, based in Portree, or your own boat and you can enter at any level, provided you have the relevant experience beforehand. Be realistic when assessing your current experience and abilities and, if in doubt contact us to discuss your requirements before booking your course.
If you know what course you are interested in then please choose below:
- Level 1 Start Powerboating
- This one day course is an introduction to boating techniques for beginners and novices. It will give you the skills and confidence to progress on to the Level 2 Powerboat course. It includes everyday boat handling and the use of safety equipment.
- Level 2 Powerboat Handling
- This two day course provides the skills and background knowledge needed to drive a powerboat. It focuses on low speed close quarters hanbdling, driving at planing speed and collision reulations.
- Intermediate Powerboat
- This two day course covers the practical use of pilotage and passage planning by day. It builds on the foundation knowledge of the Level 2 and covers cruising at planing speed and more advanced boat handling.
- Advanced Powerboat
- This two day course is for leisure and professional boaters wanting to undertake more adventurous trips by day and night. It includes navigation at planing speeds, weather and other aspects of skippering powerboats on more challenging passages.
- Advanced Powerboat Exam
- An external exam is required before the Advanced Powerboat can be commercially endorsed. It can be run at our centre, but we bring an external Trainer in to conduct the exam.
If you want to work in a commercial environment and take up to 12 paying passengers to sea in a vessel of up to 24m then it is a legal requirement to hold an RYA/MCA certificate of competence with a commercial endorsement.
Both the RYA Level 2 Powerboat and the RYA Advanced Powerboat (with exam) can be commercially endorsed. To find out more click here.
Taster, Skippered Charter and Own boat tuition
- Taster sessions
- A 1.5 hour trip, giving you the opportunity to give it a go. Sessions usually take place in Portree harbour and around Raasay Sound.
- Skippered Charter
- Hire the boat and skipper exclusively for you and your party (maximum of 7) for a full day or half day (or drop off and pick up later).
- Own boat tuition
- If you have just bought a boat and want some input into skippering it, or want to have a course run in your own boat then we can do that.